Dealing with cold temperatures naturally or ‘artificially’ (Constant use of air conditioners without wanting to regulate temperature) make us want to do one thing, and one thing only: snuggle up inside.
Whether lounging on the sofa or cuddling up in bed with extra layers, throw blankets can give you warmth while also adding style to your space.
Why everyone needs (and loves) throw blankets
- They’re comfortable: New York City-based interior designer Diana Mui of d.m.teriors says, a throw blanket is a great way to finish up a room. “It can also easily add comfort by snuggling into it during movie night,” she said. “I couldn’t do without one.”
- They’re versatile: Because they’re relatively inexpensive and not hard to store, you can switch them out depending on your mood, the season or room theme, Mui added.
But, how do you pick the best one? There are so many different fabrics and sizes out there, after all.
How to pick the best throw blanket
- Be selective about fabrics: When it comes to material, Mui said her favorite for the cold season are faux fur and anything chunky. Not only does it add warmth, but the look gives the space nice texture. One of her least favorite fabrics for throw blankets is pure wool. “I am not a fan because I find it itchy, and it pills easily,” she said.
- Go bold with colors and patterns: This is where you can really have fun. “There are really no rules here,” Mui said, adding that a throw blanket with a fun design or bold hue can give new life to your space. “For example, if you have a room that has zero splash of color, a single throw blanket can transform a room.”
- Pick a size based on where it’ll go: If you’re buying one for the sofa, Mui suggests going with something sized around 50” x 70.” “It’s small enough to move around, but large enough to cover yourself and snuggle.” And if the blanket is for the bedroom, Mui suggests going with a bigger size. “I think it makes a bed look more finished and fills it out nicely,” she added.
In the market for a new throw blanket? Here are some cozy options that fit Mui’s advice:
Mui said this is her go-to blanket when she’s looking for something simple and affordable. “It’s soft and cozy and doesn’t pill easily,” she said.
How to fold throw blankets
For living room throw blankets, she said you can either neatly fold them and drape over a chair or the arm of a sofa, or you can just throw it casually in the middle of the sofa. “It’s the one accessory you can have that doesn’t need to be set perfectly on the sofa.”
For a bedroom, you can fold it neatly at the end of the bed to make it part of the room’s everyday style.