Kaduna State Police Command on Sunday said the number of victims that died during last week’s gunmen attack on the Emir of Potiskum, Umaru Bubaram, along Kaduna-Zaria highway has increased to seven.
The Command had initially issued a statement that only six persons were killed while five were injured when suspected gunmen attacked the emir’s convoy on 14th January, 2020.
The command’s spokesman, DSP Yakubu Sabo, in another statement issued on Sunday said one more victim died among those injured which increased the figures to seven.
He identified the deceased as follows: Shehu Wakama (62years), Sulaiman Ba’amalum (60years), Maina Kaina (60years), Adamu Lawal (32 years), Danjuma Adamu (35years), Adamu Musa and one other whose name and address is yet to be identified.
“As an update, one of the five persons receiving treatment later died in the hospital which increases the toll to seven while four persons are being treated.
“The injured persons in the incident are: Sgt Mohammed Tanko, Philiha David, Ismail Yau and Umar Maiwada respectively,” he said.
The command also described the report published by an online medium that 30 persons were killed and 100 kidnapped on the day of the emir’s attack as false and misrepresentation of facts.
“The Command wishes to categorically state that, it has high respect for the sanctity of human life and cannot underestimate such value.
“It therefore strongly debunks the story as false and a misrepresentation of facts aimed at causing more fear in the minds of the public and enjoins the public to jettison the report as misleading,” he said.
On the number of persons abducted, investigation is still ongoing to ascertain the exact figure, saying only six (6) families have so far contacted the Command to report the involvement of their relations.
He said the command still maintains this casualty figure as accurate until more facts prove to the contrary.